Sometimes, you just need a steak. That’s where this recipe comes in. It’s everything you want in a steak, plus a whole mess of mushrooms. Hint: guys, this is also a great way to impress your date.
- 1 filet mignon steak (8 oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 package (about 8) white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Turbinado sugar or brown sugar to taste
- Canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- Season steak generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper on both sides.
- Heat 2 tbsp canola oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned, about 1 minute, then remove from pan.
- Add steak to pan, and cook until desired degree of doneness is reached; medium rare is about 3.5 minutes on each side.
- Remove steak from pan, and tent with foil.
- Add the mushrooms, balsamic vinegar, and wine to the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce has thickened and formed a glaze, about 3-5 minutes. Taste for seasoning, and add a pinch of sugar if you find the balsamic vinegar has too much of a bite.